- Opportunity versus necessity
- Startup density
- Still a man's world?
- Race, ethnicity, and immigration
- Age matters, and so does education, but not the way you think
The preponderance (63.2%) of newly minted entrepreneurs were men, while only 36.8% of women started their own venture in the most recent year. The number of female entrepreneurs is close to the 20-year low of 36.3% from the 2008 Index. For comparison, there was more equity between genders in 1996 than there is now.Learn more: The State of the American Entrepreneur in 2015
- Men: 1996 56.3%, 2014: 63.2%
- Women: 1996:43.7%, 2014: 36.8%